Natural Gas Pipeline Extension
Somerset CountyWicomico CountyWorcester County | Regional Infrastructure
Maryland portion of the Del-Mar Energy Pathway Project Phase 1 extends an existing transmission main pipeline from Commerce Street in Salisbury to Eden (approx. 7 miles) in Wicomico County and continuing along US 13 transportation corridor to the junction of Md-413 (approx. 10 miles) in Somerset County. Anchor customers include the University of Maryland Eastern Shore and Eastern Correctional Institution. Additional customers include Princess Anne Industrial Park, Mountaire Farms, & Clean Bay Renewables LLC.
AREAS OF REGIONAL IMPACT
The pipeline extension will diversify the energy landscape by providing an affordable energy alternative for new and existing businesses. Existing primary economic clusters have access to natural gas and are located in the two northern quadrants of the Lower Shore region-Salisbury in the northwest and Ocean City/Berlin in the northeast. The project will extend this energy resource into the southern quadrants of the region -Princess Anne (Somerset) and, with future extensions, Pocomoke City (Worcester). It is envisioned this will result in greater economic resiliency by balancing the distribution of economic clusters in the region.
- State of Maryland issued RFP in 2019 – an award was made in 2019.
- Local government and Chesapeake Utilities currently working through franchise agreement.
- Equipment purchase for Eastern Correctional Institution to transition from wood-burning to natural gas approved Summer 2020.
- Tidal water crossing permit for Phase 1 achieved Winter 2020.
- BPW permit process for wetlands for Wicomico portion approved 2020.
- BPW permit process for Somerset portion approved January 2021.
- Construction commenced on Delaware portion of project Q1 2020.
- Construction commenced Wicomico County and Somerset County January 2021.
ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE
Q1 of 2022